Lesson 2B – From M2M to IoT
This lesson explains how machine-to-machine (M2M) communications, which have been critical for ICS performance for decades, lay the groundwork for the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Define M2M
- Describe the relationship between M2M and ICS
- Explain the concept of convergence and how it has influenced the transition from M2M to IoT
- Compare and contrast M2M and IoT
- Describe technological innovations that are making IoT possible
- K0309: Knowledge of emerging technologies that have potential for exploitation by adversaries.
- K0335: Knowledge of current and emerging cyber technologies.
- K0437: Knowledge of general SCADA system components.
- K0612: Knowledge of what constitutes a “threat” to a network.
- S0034: Skill in discerning the protection needs (i.e., security controls) of information systems and networks.
- S0278: Skill in tailoring analysis to the necessary levels (e.g., classification and organizational).