Network Security Tools
This lesson familiarizes the student with the basic tools for network defense, specifically firewalls (network and host-based) and intrusion detection/prevention systems. Additionally, it provides some hands-on experience with Windows firewall settings and rules.
- Describe basic tools for network defense
- Apply basic firewall rules
- Understand purpose and deployment of intrusion detection/prevention systems
- K0049: Knowledge of information technology (IT) security principles and methods (e.g., firewalls, demilitarized zones, encryption).
- K0326: Knowledge of cybersecurity methods, such as firewalls, demilitarized zones, and encryption.
- K0487: Knowledge of network security (e.g., encryption, firewalls, authentication, honey pots, perimeter protection).
- K0516: Knowledge of physical and logical network devices and infrastructure to include hubs, switches, routers, firewalls, etc.
- K0561: Knowledge of the basics of network security (e.g., encryption, firewalls, authentication, honey pots, perimeter protection).
- S0076: Skill in configuring and utilizing software-based computer protection tools (e.g., software firewalls, anti-virus software, anti-spyware).
- S0084: Skill in configuring and utilizing network protection components (e.g., Firewalls, VPNs, network intrusion detection systems).
- S0168: Skill in applying cybersecurity methods, such as firewalls, demilitarized zones, and encryption.
- Network Defense (NDF)
- Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems (IDS)