This lesson provides the student with some hands-on experience with cryptography using online tools to solve simple cryptographic problems. It also exposes the student to techniques for encrypting and decrypting files on a Linux system.
For this lesson, we assume the instructor has provisioned accounts for his or her students in the Virginia Cyber Range and has added the Cyber Basics – Introduction to Cryptography Lab to their course. The instructor should have copies of the lab hand-out from the courseware repository.
- Use online tools to solve simple cryptographic problems
- Apply techniques for encrypting and decrypting files on a Linux system using both symmetric and asymmetric encryption tools
- K0044: Knowledge of cybersecurity principles and organizational requirements (relevant to confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, non-repudiation).
- K0305: Knowledge of encryption algorithms, stenography, and other forms of data concealment.
- K0308: Knowledge of cryptology.
- Intro to Cryptography