Reconnaissance and Scanning
This lesson familiarizes the student with techniques for passive and active network reconnaissance to include sweeping, scanning, OS finger printing, banner grabbing, war-dialing and war-driving.
This lesson includes a hands-on exercise in the Virginia Cyber Range. If instructors would like to have students complete the exercise, they should have requested an account at firstname.lastname@example.org and had a course created for them. They should upload their student list to the course and prepare the exercise entitled ‘Cyber Basics – Reconnaissance and Network Scanning Lab’ and download the corresponding lab document from the courseware repository.
- Describe techniques for passive network reconnaissance
- Define sweeping, scanning, OS finger printing and banner grabbing
- Define war-dialing and war-driving
- K0111: Knowledge of common network tools (e.g., ping, traceroute, nslookup) and interpret the information results.
- K0300: Knowledge of network mapping and recreating network topologies.
- K0307: Knowledge of common network tools (e.g., ping, traceroute, nslookup).
- A0055: Ability to operate common network tools (e.g., ping, traceroute, nslookup).
- Networking Concepts