Lesson 1B – Mechanization & Automation
This lesson focuses on mechanization and automation: core concepts underlying the existence of all industrial control systems.
- Define mechanization and automation, and explain how they are related to each other
- Describe the high-level architecture for a production system, differentiating between information technology (IT) and operations technology (OT)
- Explain the levels of automation, and why they are relevant to cybersecurity
- Explain the degrees of automation, and why they are relevant for cybersecurity
- Describe the benefits of automating – or not
- K0437: Knowledge of general SCADA system components.
- K0511: Knowledge of organizational hierarchy and cyber decision making processes.
- S0038: Skill in identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system
- S0085: Skill in conducting audits or reviews of technical systems.
- S0228: Skill in identifying critical target elements, to include critical target elements for the cyber domain.
- S0278: Skill in tailoring analysis to the necessary levels (e.g., classification and organizational).
- A0035: Ability to dissect a problem and examine the interrelationships between data that may appear unrelated.