Lesson 4C – Metabolic and Environmental Risks
This lesson explains potential physical risks for operators working in an extreme industrial environment where exertion may be required, and how those risks can be managed and mitigated.
- Explain the effects of heat and cold stress on operators
- Describe how to mitigate heat and cold stress on operators
- Describe what the IREQ index measures, and how it can be used
- Explain how ISO 15743 can be used to mitigate cold stress
- Compute and interpret WBGT given raw observations
- Estimate the kcal/hr and NIOSH Recommended Exposure Limit (REL) for a particular work activity
- Describe how Borg’s RPE can be used to assess exertion, and how it is related to heart rate
- K0165: Knowledge of risk threat assessment.
- K0344: Knowledge of threat environments.
- S0010: Skill in conducting capabilities and requirements analysis.
- S0038: Skill in identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system
- S0134: Skill in conducting reviews of systems.
- S0171: Skill in performing impact/risk assessments.
- S0256: Skill in providing understanding of target or threat systems through the identification and link analysis of physical, functional, or behavioral relationships.
- A0028: Ability to assess and forecast manpower requirements to meet organizational objectives.
- A0045: Ability to evaluate/ensure the trustworthiness of the supplier and/or product.
- Basic Data Analysis
- Industrial Control Systems